More on Ward Churchill

I wrote about Ward Churchill and his idiotic remark last month. I am not an advocate of forcing him to resign. He should be allowed to speak his mind and we should be allowed to speak our minds and let him know that he comes across as being a pompous ass.

Today CNN has an update on his position and what he intends to do:

"In a two-hour interview with The Associated Press, Churchill, 57, said he won't back down as the school investigates him to see if he can be fired. But he wearily acknowledged the uproar now dominates his life and makes it difficult to focus on his job as a tenured professor of ethnic studies.

"I'm struggling desperately to be able to deliver to my students what they signed up for," Churchill said, slumped in a chair and chain-smoking Pall Malls. "All of my time is devoted to responding to gratuitous (expletive). Every day there's a new idiocy."


I wonder if he really is all that surprised by this attention because he goes on to say:

"Churchill acknowledged he is confrontational when he tries to make Americans see the attacks of September 11 not as unprovoked assaults on an innocent people, but as the consequences of years of U.S. policies he likens to genocide.

"That's why I'm so in-your-face. You will not ignore this, purport to innocence while applauding genocide. You may not be directly culpable, but you're not innocent," he said."

People like Churchill concern me because in their effort to be good, kind and noble they often fail completely because they are affected by the plight of XYZ people to such an extent that they fail to do the research that is no desperately needed. There are often two sides to these stories, but they live off of the one tale and not the other.

But even if we give them some credence, what bothers me is their use of pejorative terms without regard for the appropriateness of what they are using them for. And in the essay that got him into this mess he demonstrated a complete misuse and misunderstanding of the "little Eichmanns" description.

Again, I do not advocate for his dismissal, but I do support a public reprimand.

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...