Fragments of Fiction- A New Installment

There is a new entry on the Fragments of Fiction blog. I am just kind of mumbling my way through this. Almost 8,000 words and all I have is this rough mockup of a story. It is kind of frustrating, I am not real happy with it.

That is not to say that I think that it is terrible. It has potential, but it feels flat to me, a little formulaic and in need of some color. Sometimes I wish that I could combine this with making a movie, that I could tell a story and show pictures and sound with it.

It would be so much easier to try and flesh things out, to make you see things the way I am really trying to describe them. Sometimes I feel like the words are doing the trick, like they are presenting you with the image I hold in my mind and sometimes it feels like I am banging my head against the wall and that is something that just tears me up.

A number of years ago I worked for a company that manufactured tools for construction purposes. We sold a couple of pieces of equipment to a company in Israel. And any time they needed assistance I would be the guy that they placed on the phone. At one point in time my command of Hebrew was excellent, now I can get by, get around but it is not real solid.

I remember one conversation with two of their crew. Between the two of them they spoke about 27 words of English and almost none of them were useful for our conversation. Even at the height of my prowess I would have had difficulty because I had never learned certain words, there was a vocabulary problem.

So the three of us yelled a little, cursed a little and worked hard to overcome the language gap. We got there, but it was incredibly frustrating for all of us. And that is kind of how I feel about this now, it almost reads the way I want it to, but it is still missing something.

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...