The Apprentice

The Apprentice has become part of my television routine. As it is I watch too much: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sopranos, Lost, Arrested Development, Las Vegas and sporting events are all part of the staple diet of television here at the shack.

I started watching The Apprentice because I wanted to see what I could learn from it. Trump is pretentious, bombastic and in dire need of a new hairstyle, but he is a solid businessman. He didn't become a billionaire because he is lucky. And the candidates on the show are not solely a bunch of pretty faces or colorful characters. They are all successful in their own right.

One of the reasons that I have had success in my career is that I have been willing to subjugate my ego and learn from others. There is little reason to reinvent or rebuild the wheel just for the sake of proving that you can do it. This is true in all areas, but especially in my current career as professional salesman.

I always look for the best salespeople and watch how they do business. What do they do to prepare, how do they make their pitch, what kind of follow up have they develop etc. I compile my own case study on them and then incorporate the elements that they use into my routine. I am a sponge and I will shamelessly copy them.

Inevitably I still maintain my own distinct style and approach, but you could say that in truth it is a compilation of many people. But this still fits in with my philosophy of constantly trying to improve myself and my desire to continually learn.

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.

2 comments:

Janine said...

Shhh.. The Apprentice a secret love of mine, too!

Jack Steiner said...

Brian's weekend- you have to love it. GO BookSmart.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...