IP Addresses- My confession

Yes, an afternoon confession for all of you. I enjoy looking at my tracking software to see who has come to visit the shack. I find it very interesting, it is kind of a like a puzzle in which I have enough pieces to creat the skeleton of the puzzle, but I am not able to fill it in.

I look at the IP addresses and I can gather small details, little nuggets of information that I try to use to decipher the mystery that is you, the reader.

Sometimes I am provided with the name of the business/school/organization of your IP address. It is a nice addition. I look at it and try and imagine what you do for a living. Are you a spy, a teacher, a doctor, lawyer or something else. Who knows.

Maybe you are someone I know from the outside world who doesn't know that I have a blog. There are endless possibilities.

4 comments:

Two Guns said...

I am a spy. Thanks for likeing the Marx Bros.

Jack Steiner said...

Hi April,

When I look at the stats I can see where people are coming from, assuming that they have not used some kind of proxy or what have you to log in.

Sometimes I see the name of their employer, but even if I see that usually do not know exactly who they are. It really depends on how much information they leave behind.

A lot of it is guesswork based upon limited information, but from time to time I have enough pieces of the puzzle to make an educated guess.

What I wonder about is how many people are consistent lurkers who do not post. It is all so very interesting to me.

Number Mouth said...

Did my ip show you that I'm a famous belly dancer?

Jack Steiner said...

Did my ip show you that I'm a famous belly dancer?No, but it did show that you like red lipstick and green eyeshadow.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...