There is joy in music-And more in forcing your children to listen to yours

My son is an avid music lover, but he loves his music more than he loves mine. I listened to the Wiggles, Thomas, Bob the Builder and Endless Disney tunes.

And then I retaliated with the following:

Eminem, Harry Chapin, Leonard Bernstein, Hank Williams Jr., Johnny Cash and Simon & Garfunkel among others. He hit me with some kind of kids muzak version of recent pop tunes. It was a devastating blow and my head reeled.

But dear old dad recovers quickly and I smacked him with Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Peter Gabriel, Neil Diamond, The Dead, Led Zeppelin, David Broza and just because some Carlebach.

If I do my job he and my daughter will grow up with an appreciation for many kinds of music. And in the short term I may yet convince him to listen to something that doesn't make my head hurt.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

They have thomas the tank engine music? The Grateful Dead is always playing at my house. I am sure my son will grow up to hate it.

Jack Steiner said...

Yep, they have Thomas The Tank Engine music. I might have to teach my little boy a few bars of something new, "Driving that train, high on..." Ok, I am going to have to fix the lyrics.

Unknown said...

I read that The Dead were going to play at the DNC but DNC thought it would be bad for their image if all the democrats were caught singing along with Casey Jones . . .

Jack Steiner said...

They could have done it. Some of the Republicans would have accused them of using "Casey Jones" as a pseudonym for Rush and made a whole big deal about mudslinging.

Once upon a time I used to tell people that I worked for Amtrak and that my name was Casey Jones. It was good for a laugh or two.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...