Israel Divestiture Spurs Clash

This really irks me for a number of reasons. A couple of selections from the article:

"Jewish-Presbyterian relations have been in turmoil since the 2.4 million-member Presbyterian Church's General Assembly voted 431 to 62 in July to "initiate a process of phased selective divestment in multinational corporations operating in Israel" and also decided to continue funding messianic congregations that target Jews for proselytizing."

So they are going to make lopsided blanket judgements while trying to do whatever they can to eradicate my people. That may sound dramatic, but when your family, friends and colleagues are targeted for conversion what are you supposed to say.

"The Institute on Religion and Democracy, a conservative advocacy group in Washington, issued a report this week saying that mainline Protestant denominations devoted 37 percent of their human rights declarations over the past four years to criticism of Israel, far more than any other foreign country."

I can accept criticisim, no person or country is perfect, but given the circumstances it seems awfully strange that Israel has received more than one third of the criticisms of this group. Where is the balance.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I am very disappointed in the Presbyterians. I always thought they had a clue. Spoke to my rabbi tonight about this. It is very disheartening that the brunt of Christian support for Israel comes from the Fundie whack-jobs. :(

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...