She Is My Girl

"She's a butterfly, pretty as the crimson sky
Nothing's ever gonna bring her down
And everywhere she goes
Everybody knows she's so glad to be alive
She's a butterfly

Like the purest light in a darkened world
So much hope inside such a lovely girl
You should see her fly, it's almost magical
It makes you wanna cry, she's so beautiful"
She's A Butterfly- Martina McBride

The dark haired beauty turns six tomorrow and like so many other parents I find myself asking the ridiculous question of how did it happen. How could she possibly be six. It hardly seems possible that my baby has already finished a year of school. But it is possible and it has happened.

She who was born just days after her grandfather's triple bypass came into the world and immediately stole my heart. I was in the room when she was born and watched her emerge. Studied her features trying to tell if I would have another son or the first daughter.

Watched as a nurse cleaned her up and introduced myself. In a quiet voice I told her that she was my girl and promised to do all in my power to raise and take care of her. Stared in amazement as she grabbed my finger, just moments out of the womb, laughing to myself as I thought "she is already trying to take control."

But I was right, she was and I was ok with it. Still am. This girl with the dark eyes, freckles and a smile that lights up a room proved that love at first sight exists.

The girl who I waltz around the room with has vision and ideas of what she wants. She knows her mind and works hard to get whatever it is she wants. She is clearly a mix of her mother and I but has more than a few of my personality traits.

She is kind, caring and relentless. Her older brother is her biggest hero which sometimes annoys him to no end for whatever he does is what she wants to do. He hasn't quite realized what a compliment this is or how well she understands him. He may be her biggest hero but that doesn't stop her from pressing his buttons. No one knows how to piss him off faster than she does.

This little girl of mine, she loves babies, music and laughter and is often in search of one or all three. This little girl of mine is well aware of how I feel about her and is not afraid to try to manipulate me. If she wants something she is not above crawling onto my lap to hug and kiss me. She'll offer to rub my shoulders and then midway through ask for whatever it is she wants.

I haven't told her yet that I know exactly what she is doing. Can't give away all of my secrets- she is much smarter than I am and it won't be long before I really have to work hard to stay ahead of her. This little girl of mine scrunches her nose at me when I say no and asks if I am really sure. She does her best to suggest that maybe it would be smart to reconsider.

It makes me smile and it makes me laugh to see her try. I appreciate her effort and her ingenuity but what kind of father would I be if I gave her everything. There are benefits to having to work for what you have. One day when she is older I am going to tell her what life was really like when she was born.

I'll share how hard and how frightening that time was. I'll talk about how many challenges there were and how very thankful I was when she joined us. I'll tell her how her presence made such a positive impact and remind her for the 1 millionth time that she is loved by her family.

Happy birthday girly, I am so very proud of you.

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...