Do you Take a Sleeping Pill When You Fly?

A number of my friends have jobs that make them into road warriors. It is not uncommon for them to fly several times a week.

During a recent conversation one of them told me that when he flies he often takes a sleeping pill just before take off. I must have made a face because he told me that it is quite common for people to do this.

So I am curious to get your feedback. Is this accurate, do many people take a sleeping pill when they fly? Are you among them? Do you like it? Do you do it to prevent boredom or stress?

Inquiring minds want to know.

4 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

long flights, yes, i take something to help sleep and only recently found something that actually works. i do it because otherwise i don't sleep and exhaustion upon arriving wherever is not good (particularly aus to usa). and it does prevent boredom - makes the 14 hour flight a bit better if you can sleep for a few hours.

Jack Steiner said...

I can appreciate sleeping away long chunks of the flight. I am always afraid that I'll snore so loudly people will try to shake me awake.

Anonymous said...

i've had to do a fair amount of business travel in the past year. i don't take sleeping pills. and i'm pretty anti pharmaceuticals in general, which is interesting since i work to help advertise them. but i'd say more of my colleagues than not do take sleeping pills before flights if they're longer than a couple of hours.

Jack Steiner said...

but i'd say more of my colleagues than not do take sleeping pills before flights if they're longer than a couple of hours.

I am torn by it all. I used to love flying but I find that I am enjoying it less than I used to. So the idea of sleeping through it has some attraction.

OTOH, while it is unlikely that anything bad is going to happen I like the idea of being awake to try and deal with it.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...