Blogging Tells

Shifra's post caught me eye.
The blogging world is a weird one: aliases and screen names, fighting for justice from behind a monitor, and telling your deepest secrets to total strangers are all commonplace activities.
Sometimes I think we're all a little messed up. Lately there has been a new phenomenon which I'll call double-blind blogging, even thought thats not really the right words for it. I'm talking about new anonymous mini-blogs like the Hot Channie blog (spawned by snappy catch phrase on my blog) and the Dov Weasel blog (designed to bring down the bear by exposing instances of sentence lifting and plagiarism.)

Most bloggers I've spoken to assume that these new adept bloggers, who seem both technically Savvy and very aware of who's who in the J-blogging world must really be other bloggers in disguise. Based on that assumption they try to figure out who it might be (even if their detective work will only take them as far as their usual blog alias. )

Who is on their email list? Who's blogs do the quote? What is their level of technical skill on the web? What is their writing style, temperament, target audience...
Who would have the time to maintain two blogs?
As I mentioned in the comments at Shifra's place. I maintain several blogs. It is taken incredible effort and discipline, but I can now admit that I am the following bloggers: DovBear, Ezzie, Ren Reb and I used to be ClooJew.

11 comments:

Ezzie said...

Argh. Why did you out me/you/us!?!?

Anonymous said...

That is a good question. Why did you ought us.

mist1 said...

I just still can't imagine how you can maintain more than one blog. I would have to never leave the house again.

Anonymous said...

I've never understood the obsession some online peeps have with "real names" and identities. WHO CARES?

Anonymous said...

And you forgot (being coy, I presume) to mention the Daily Kos.

Naughty, naughty...

Air Time said...

Now I know why you had to plagiarize ovefr at DB. You poor thing, being so busy.

have popcorn will lurk said...

Well, of course you are, because DovBear and Ren Reb are the same person.

Um, everyone knew that, right?

Jack Steiner said...

Ezzie,

I must have forgotten my meds.

Cloo,

Maybe I forgot my meds, lulei demistafina.

Mist,

I have many talents.

Paula,

I care. As a superhero it is incumbent upon me to maintain a secret identity so that I can pretend to be a normal Joe.

Snoopy,

Naughty is nice.

AT,

It was that or be forced to move to detroit.

Chana,

Yes, everyone knew.

Anonymous said...

That is a good question. Why did you ought us.

[Note the meta joke]

:)

Mata Hari said...

so what's your question exactly? would i write comments under another name? no. maybe under "anonymous" a couple of times. i kinda like having an authentic, consistent blog persona - even if it's not my real name.

Jack Steiner said...

MH,

Not really a question, more like a comment.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...