Strange Method of Fund Raising

I have spent quite a bit of time working with various companies/charities in assisting them with developing effective programming/campaigns that can be used to raise money and awareness. I like doing this and feel good about trying to give back.

But I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that I am also relatively critical of their efforts. I am not a huge fan of telemarketers and think that raising money that way is a bit like slinging mud at the wall to see what sticks.

Still I think that it is superior to those charities that send out solicitation letters with money already enclosed in it.

They often read something like this:

Use this nickel/dime/dollar as part of your next contribution to charity XYZ. Now I don't know about you, but the first thing I do is take that coin and stick it in my pocket. If it is from one of my regular charities they probably will get it back, but if it is not...

I can't help but wonder how much money they spend on enclosing the currency in the envelope. Does anyone actually turn around and give them back their nickel.

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...