Civility and Logic In The Blogosphere

One of the ongoing discussions within the blogosphere is about civil discourse. It is a topic that you will see discussed time and time again. The premise of the posts is that there is a lack of civility within the blogosphere and society in general.

There is some truth in that belief. There are many blogs in which the discussion quickly deteriorates into name calling. Some people find that anonymity gives them freedom to say things that they would never dare say in person. It is troublesome and problematic.

Yet there are many blogs in which the conversation rarely if ever goes down that path. They manage to take sensitive issues and have a real dialogue. There have been more than a few of those here. There have also been a number of heated disagreements. I won't claim to always be calm. I won't claim that I have never crossed the line. I have and I will again. That doesn't mean that I won't try to avoid it, but I am not naive enough to believe that I won't occasionally jump into the mud.

I don't ask everyone to agree with me, although that would make the world a nicer place to live. However, if you come banging on my doorstop you better have a little fact to support your allegations or you risk having your nose rubbed in your inadequacies.

Perhaps we'll discuss this in more detail later on.

6 comments:

treppenwitz said...

Nice post, pinhead. :-)

Jack Steiner said...

Thus spaketh the Red Sox fan. ;)

Deadman said...

Civility is a two-way street. I don't ascribe to the theory that a discussion is okay as long as no four-letter words are involved. It's just as "vulgar" to level baseless accusations of bigotry.

If people don't want to be called names, they shouldn't act like assholes has always been my assertion.

Smooth said...

I guess I won't be selling any of those STFU T-shirts in the near future ;) Actually, I'm with Mark. If you're going to come to my blog, tell me that Jews stole land, that Jews are occupiers and baby-killers, not only are you going to get reasons why you're wrong, you're going to get a mouthful of dirt so that you don't make the same mistake twice.

Jacob Da Jew said...

I find the name calling particularly appalling on large blogs like Dov Bear and Harry Maryles.

Jack Steiner said...

Mark,

I am with you. Lord knows I have dished out plenty.

Smooth,

A mouthful of dirt. Remind me not to mess with you.

Jacob,

I hear you.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...