My Fight For Israel

Psychotoddler has a good post called What I Can Do.
"Actually, I think there is. In an earlier post, I mentioned that Israel is fighting a war on 3 fronts. Gaza, Lebanon, and the World Media. You can argue about how it's doing on the first two. But I don't think there's any question that it is doing poorly on the third. So maybe there's something I can do about that."
I agree with the good doctor. I can do something here. I find myself quite conflicted about this. Longtime readers might remember my post Aliyah Musings in which I explored some of my thoughts.
"You see, when I visited Trumpeldor's kever in Tel Hai and read Ein davar, tov lamut be'ad arzenu ("Never mind; it is good to die for our country") I really bought into it."
The point is that I am following the war quite closely. Not just because it involves family and friends, but because there is a part of me that realizes that I could have easily been the one in harms way. That may sound goofy, it may sound strange or egocentric to people, but it is how I feel.

Others are on the front lines while I sit here in a tank top and a pair of shorts, humbled by their service and awed by so many of the stories I read. So while others sacrifice far more than I am I remember that I owe something to those who came before me and those who stand in the trenches so that my family stays safe.

One of the other things that I have noticed is that there seems to be far more static coming out of the problems of the world are caused by Jews crowd. The trolls are out in force and I am finding far more of their comments here as well as on the air on various talk radio shows.

Look, I am the first to say that Jews do not have a monopoly on suffering but that doesn't negate or discount the numerous incidents that have taken place recently and or in the last sixty years let alone the past two thousand.

You may not like it. You may not like Jews. You might truly believe the tripe some of you are peddling about how we are the source of trouble. Anyone with an ounce of common sense and an inkling of logic understands that this is patently false, but people have short memories.

I stay vigilant because of things like Darfur and Rwanda. Because I know that there are people who are willing to slaughter others I stay alert. I stay alert because I know that sometimes the monsters of the night appear during the day and that they sometimes look just like you and me.

I cannot and will not relax and pretend that nothing can happen to me or those I love. I went to the same high school as Daniel Pearl. I saw what the cursed terrorist Zarqawi did to Nick Berg and I know too many other stories about those that oppose a Western lifestyle.

I know that one day the survivors will be gone and the question of Will The Children Understand will gain greater poignancy.

Tony Blair spoke today about a war of values.

"Mr Blair spoke of how he believed "global extremism" should be tackled.

"To defeat it will need an alliance of moderation that paints a different future in which Muslim, Jew and Christian, Arab and Western, wealthy and developing nations can make progress in peace and harmony.

"We will not win the battle against this global extremism unless we win it at the level of values as much as force, unless we show we are even-handed, fair and just in our application of those values to the world." He said this "unconventional" war must be won through these values.

"This war can't be won in a conventional way, it can only be won by showing that our values are stronger, better and more just, more fair than the alternatives," he said."

He is right. In the end it is not just a fight for Israel or for Jews. It is a fight to maintain a Western lifestyle and war has already been declared. We stand together now. We draw our line in the sand or accept the battle on their terms.

So there you have it. Agree or disagree. You are entitled to your opinion, but don't ever think that we are going to go softly into the night.




9 comments:

Shoshana said...

Beautifully said, and completely right.

PsychoToddler said...

I think it's important to take a stand on the internet, particular on blogs that are not primarily political in nature. People come to Jack's Shack for wackiness, fun, a little touching insight, and they love you for what you do for them.

You shouldn't let them forget though, that if they take a stand against Israel, they are taking a stand against you personally, and you won't take that quietly.

But even more important is to try to impact the many people out there who are not reading blogs and whom you interact with every day.

I try to do it by wearing my yarmulke and being a good person, a kind professional, and an example of what an Orthodox Jew is supposed to mean in this world.

And since it also makes me a magnet for people who want to discuss Mideast politics, I let them know what I think, and how they can get more complete information than what the 5:30 news is willing to spoonfeed them.

If we are going to win this war, we need to fight it on all fronts.

Anonymous said...

I too heard Tony Blair's comments and for one am pleased that at least one leader gets the picture. Now if we could get France, Italy, Germany, Canada, Australia, Spain, and so on to reach the same conclusion we'll have a fighting chance of winning.

Jack Steiner said...

Shoshana,

Thanks.

Elster,

That video makes me proud.

PT,

I agree. It is important to hit the people outside of the blogosphere too. But I never forget the lurkers here.

How many people are reading this and never comment.

Amishav,

It would be a great victory to get the rest of Europe on board.

Ray Bridges said...

I stand where I've always stood: On the sidelines wishing well to people I have come to know and love.

Maybe I'll follow Psychotoddler's lead and wear a yarmulke to work tomorrow. Who would have thought a kippe would become a political statement?

PsychoToddler said...

Houston, there are some great stories on the blogosphere about people who have suddenly shown up to work with a Kippa and the remarks they've gotten. All over the spectrum.

Anonymous said...

I too talk to my co-workers about what's going in Israel. Sometimes I feel like banging my head against the wall because there is so much ignorance about what Israel is fighting.

Most do support Israel's fight.

Anonymous said...

Yo I don't have a paricular religion. I was baptist catholic, was sent to christian churches and many others. I believe anything that helps you become a better person, even if its a religion, its good for you. Hopefully you don't think I'm ignorant, but i don't fully comprehend why you all have been fighting all these years. If you tell me where can i go to learn more about judaism it will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic video. Love it.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...