This Time, Python Eats Siamese Cat

First it was an alligator and now a cat.
"MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. - Maybe this Burmese python learned a lesson from the one that tried to eat an alligator but exploded because its prey was so big. This snake apparently took on an animal that never stood a chance — Frances, a 1-year-old Siamese cat.

Frances vanished last week from his owner's home, but his whereabouts were possibly revealed Sunday. A snake expert says Frances is the bulge inside the 12-foot-long Burmese python.

"Poor baby. He was my favorite cat. I know Siamese (cats) are supposed to be distant, but he slept in my bed and everything," said a distraught Elidia Rodriguez, the cat's owner.

The snake was captured and taken to a nature preserve, where it will live in a glass cage.

Earlier this month, a 13-foot python had a run-in with a 6-foot American alligator in Everglades National Park, and neither animal survived. The python blew up as it tried to swallow that alligator.

Capt. Al Cruz of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue antivenin unit said Sunday's case can likely be blamed on the recent rains.

The snakes "are looking for dry land," he said.Many pythons, which are native to Asia and not Florida, end up in the wild after being abandoned by their owners once they grow too big to handle."

5 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

THIS IS HORRIBLE!!! : (

Jack Steiner said...

Only if you like cats.

Irina Tsukerman said...

I most certainly do!

Jack Steiner said...

So I shouldn't send you a snake.

Irina Tsukerman said...

Actually, I like snakes, too - just separate from the cats!

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...