Pat Robertson Backpeddles

Yesterday I wrote about Pat Robertson's call to assasinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez. As you'll recall Robertson said this:
(CNN) -- Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson has called for the United States to assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, calling him "a terrific danger" bent on exporting Communism and Islamic extremism across the Americas.

"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson told viewers on his "The 700 Club" show Monday. "It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war."
But today he claims that he was misunderstood. Read this:
"I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take him out.' And 'take him out' can be a number of things, including kidnapping; there are a number of ways to take out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted by the AP [Associated Press], but that happens all the time," Robertson said on "The 700 Club" program."
So the real question is whether the AP misquoted him. From my vantage point here I think that old Pat was quoted accurately and now that the heat is coming down on him he is looking for a shady place.

Or as an old friend used to say "a drunk penis has no conscience and feels no shame until it get's caught in the zipper." Kind of a colorful way to put it, but it works for me.

2 comments:

dorothy rothschild said...

Tom-a-toe, Tomah-to, assassinate, take him out. I hear the squeaky wheels of backpedaling. Someone over on Jesus' General yesterday was calling what Robertson did the equivalent of issuing a fatwah, but they called it a Jeezwah. Heh.

P.S. How much does this word verification thing on comments rock? Thanks for posting the info about it, Jack.

Jack Steiner said...

DR,

A Jeezwah, that is awesome. No problem on the word verification deal. I am just glad that they implemented it.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...