Show Me The Money

It is noon on Tuesday afternoon. The sun is shining and my kids are on break.

Me? Well I have spent a chunk of time today trying to collect on money that people owe me. These dollars that I am chasing aren't in the pockets of friends or family nor are they loans to other people.

No, it is money I am due for work that I provided for others. Companies hired me to do freelance work months ago and didn't pay on a timely basis for no other reason than because they can.

They know that I am one person and that it is unlikely that I will bombard them with daily calls and or hire attorneys/collection agencies.

It is irritating, infuriating and unprofessional.

I won't work for them again, but that doesn't take care of the interest that I am not earning or the bills that I haven't tended to yet because they haven't paid me.

My work was turned in on time and published. It was used immediately. It was of good quality but even had it not been they still owe me. We had a signed agreement and they will honor it.

There is no doubt in my mind, but it irritates me that I have to chase after it. It irritates me that I am going to have to drive down to an office and demand to see whomever I need to see to get a check cut sooner than later.

Because when I say show me the money what I really mean is pay me. And this game that some of these people play is why I sometimes want to strangle the amateurs who foul up the system and make it harder for the rest of us.

And now that I have vented I want to invite you to come read:


No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...