I Am Not Awake Yet

Time zone changes never affected me much. I always attributed that to having a personality that allows me to adapt and adjust quickly to whatever is going on around me. Today is a little bit different, not really sure why.

It is the last day of a two week trip around the East Coast and I am not quite awake yet, though I probably should be. Technically it is almost 11 but my cellphone and laptop disagree with the clocks in the house and maintain that it is not yet 8 A.M. Don't ask me why, but I never changed any of the clocks for this trip. Kind of odd for me as normally that is among the first things that I do, change the clock that is.

My normal hours are probably different from most people, or so I assume. I routinely stay up past midnight and then rise again around six or so. I am slow going in the morning so I take my time waking up. It is fair to say that I am not unlike the grouchy bear.  Those that know me understand that caution is needed in the early morning because like that bear I am willing to use claws and teeth. The children of course ignore these things. Fearless little cubs climb into bed and hop on pop. They jump, poke, prod and tickle me.

Progeny does have its privileges or maybe it is natures way of protecting the young, but I am relatively tolerant of these things.

Under normal circumstances I would have injected myself with a dose of high powered caffiene, showered and headed out the door. But today is a travel day so I do things differently. I am not really ready to be awake yet. Even though I didn't change the clocks I did make a few adjustments so I am kind of in this time zone, although I guess that it would be more appropriate to say Mountain or Central. Might not be New York City, but it could be Dallas.

Staring out the window I see deer walking through the trees and squirrels dancing in the leaves. The squirrel reminds me of a few that live in my backyard. My flight isn't for hours, but I am starting to get restless. I can feel the pull of responsibilities of home life calling to me. There is a gate to fix, junk in the garage to be given away and painting to be done. I try to push it out of my mind- no reason to think or worry about that which I cannot deal with now.

Still, I hear silent whispers inside my head- these are the signs of the end of a vacation. Little symbols that though I may not be home physically the mind is preparing the body. The end of the trip is bittersweet. Overall it has been a very good time and I have some special memories to take home. My new toy, the Flip camera has been a joy and an incredible amount of fun to play with. I have made a bunch of videos and am enjoying it immensely.

It is good for me, this camera. These videos tickle my creativity and I find joy in it.

Joy is something that I discuss with the children. Joy and happiness. We talk about what brings us joy and what makes us happy.These are things that are important and noteworthy. They help us to get through the days be they good or bad.

One last stretch and another sentence to share here. I still am not ready to be awake, but I suppose that a hot shower will help take care of that. Won't be long before the Traveling Jack show boards the plane to head back home and another tour becomes a memory............

 

Posted via email from thejackb's posterous

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...