Don't Paint Yourself Into A Corner

Can't remember exactly how old I was when I first heard the expression "don't paint yourself into a corner." Nor can I remember the first time that my grandfather or father said "you can't screw an old head on young shoulders." Doesn't really matter, I learned the real meaning of both long ago.

Those were hard lessons that taught me a lot about life and myself. I learned that there could be a stiff price for being stubborn. Found out that being relentless in the pursuit of somethings wasn't always going to pay off. Discovered that the yin to my yang was being immersed in fire and acid. Hard lessons that taught and reminded me that some walls cannot be breached.

Experiences that shaped my outlook and perspective lie just beneath the surface. Memories of times that was and people that were. I take them and do my best to show that I have learned not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

More importantly I try to pass along the knowledge and help my children avoid the pitfalls that sometimes plagued me. But sometimes the memories of what happened grow fuzzy with time and we find ourselves revisiting our own stupidity.

So the wise father ends up acting like an idiot...again. Alone with his thoughts he screams in silence and frustration. This he will not share with his children. Some things are better left unsaid and unheard. Some moments don't need to be shared.

And so it goes.....

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...