It is 2 AM

Actually it is after 2 AM and I should have made it to bed hours ago. Why, oh dear lord why I am awake on a work night. In years past the explanation was simple. I was coming home from a night out with the boys, a date or just enjoying the cool air of the evening.

Tonight is different. Tonight I find myself awake because of a number of different issues. Tonight I find myself awake because of five separate challenges. They aren't quite the same as those that were faced by Hercules, although at times I felt like I was fighting the Hydra.

And I should add that I did take a short unscheduled nap on the couch. But again my dreams were fitful and disturbing, so I woke up in a bit of a foul mood.

But since I found myself awake I decided to tackle some of the crap that I have been forced to deal with. I began by attacking a few of the technological issues that have been foisted upon me. I won't bore you with all of the details, suffice it to say that there is an old computer and a new computer in this house. I hadn't intended on acquiring a new computer yet, but sometimes you do what you have to do.

Speaking of doing what you have to do, I had a conversation with a dear friend about life. He told me that he feels like he is stuck, or trapped I should say in a situation that is untenable. To be clear, my description is intentionally vague.

Anyway, this discussion seems to be one that my friends and I are having a lot lately. Some of it is related to age. Most of us have children and have been married for a number of years. That combination drives a number of challenges that manifest themselves into an exceptional amount of stress.

Some of us rise above the stress and some of us are overwhelmed by it. There will be a followup post to this later on, but let's hit one theme.

If you find yourself floating through life you need to figure out how to improve things. I don't want to live a life that is based solely upon my ability to endure. There is more to life than enduring.

I don't expect it to be roses and sunshine everyday, but I don't expect it to be gloom and doom either. I don't like change, never have, but I fear stagnation more than I fear change.

It is a guarantee that life will change, roll with it or it rolls over you.

More to come when I am awake. Hopefully I won't feel like a truck ran over me.

4 comments:

Val said...

Good advice... and change is usually needed to 'jumpstart' things so as not to stagnate.

Scary, though, for us change-avoiders!

Jack Steiner said...

Hi Val,

Knew that I could trust you to give a positive affirmation to my advice.:)

One Wink at a Time said...

Uh oh, looks like I need a serious jump-start.
At what point did my responsibilities overtake my ability to sit back and enjoy Life? Can't think about this now, got stuff to do. Gah!

Jack Steiner said...

At what point did my responsibilities overtake my ability to sit back and enjoy Life?

For me it was about 15 years ago.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...