I Have Too Much Stuff

Old Traveling Jack managed to hit the road for a quick weekend getaway. It was short and sweet and had I the desire I could write a dozen posts about what happened. Yes, I said a dozen and I could do it with my eyes shut.

The thing is that I just don't have that same feeling about blogging like I used to. Questions about anonymity plague me, oops almost said plaque me. Fortunately I brush my teeth so that the plaque monster doesn't totally control my mouth. Or as far as the blog goes maybe I should say that sometimes it pays to check your writing.

Elsewise you write foolish things like the point is mute when you meant to say moot. But I digress.

Before we get any farther let me address anonymity. If you want to know more about some of my thoughts there you can read:

Anonymous Blogging Blogging About Blogging
Life Has Its Moments

Anyhoo, because it was a short trip I made a point of packing quite lightly. I took, one backpack, pair of shorts, pair of Crocs, running shoes, bathing suit, couple of shirts, socks, underpants and toiletries.

Simple, effective and to the point.

When I got home it took no time to unload, unpack and a hell of a lot of time to unwind. Now I won't bore you with all the reasons why it took so long to unwind, but I will share this.

There is too much stuff in this house. Too many books, too many CDs, DVDs, toys and assorted odds and ends. Now mind you it is not like the stuff is everywhere. There aren't really piles and piles of things. But there is enough for me to feel like it is on the verge of becoming unmanageable.

Over the past few years we have made an effort to cull out the unnecessary things, to give away things we don't need. And for the most part I feel like we have been successful. Yet, things have a way of creeping up.

Birthdays for the children always create a new influx of toys as do grandparents and handmedowns from cousins and friends.

And then within the last few years are the items that have come via family inheritance. Treasured heirlooms get passed down. They are not necessarily things we want or need, but they hold a sentimental role and they aren't given away.

So every few months there is a general inventory taken and we do our best to expell the unwanted, unneeded and unnecessary.

Sometimes I get the urge to become the poster boy of minamilism, Mr. Minamalist. Do I really need all that I have. Do I really need all these things or could I just let them go.

One of these days I just might have to find out.

5 comments:

SuperRaizy said...

I hate when "too much stuff" starts taking over the house. A couple of times a year, I take a handful of garbage bags and go from room to room throwing out things that are useless, broken, or annoying. I'm pretty merciless about it. I just can't feel calm when things are too cluttered.

Jack Steiner said...

Raizy,

That is the way to do it, too much thought and you can find a millions reasons not to get rid of things.

Anonymous said...

I'm constantly purging. After two international moves in three years, I have a good sense of what I need and don't need and a fantasy about living by myself in a studio apartment.

My weakness? Paper. I save old letters, journals, my published clips, stuff the kids made. I'm working toward letting all that go.

Jack Steiner said...

I share your weakness.

Unknown said...

It's the American way to have too much stuff. My humble suggestion: Instead of throwing it out and having it land in a landfill, try to find a new use for it. I applaud you getting it out of your home; too much stuff can clog up your mind as well as your home, but there are people who really can't afford "too much stuff"- really. An interesting alternative is listia, where I am a member. My link is
http://www.listia.com/signup/58459
It's basically a free type of ebay. People get points for doing various things, like posting their "stuff" on auctions for points, and they can get whatever they need or want. I have literally been going throughout my home and posting things that I don't want that others do, and then with the points I get, I can bid for things I need or for the few things that give me pleasure. I posted an Elvis CD and one person in the country commented (online) that they collect Elvis when they can afford. I feel like tracking the guy down and mailing it to them!Anyway check it out-
http://www.listia.com/signup/58459
And sign up as Siri's friend!

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...