Responding to Comments

Once upon a time I referred to blog posts that had no comments as orphans or something along those lines, I don't quite remember and don't feel like looking it up. What I can say for certain is that I remember being disturbed to see that some posts never received any feedback.

It was kind of a silly thing to be miffed about. I really don't blog for the comments, but that doesn't mean that I don't want/enjoy/appreciate the feedback. It may be a secondary thing, but nonetheless it is nice to see that someone took the time to respond.

Now many years into my blogging career I pay far less attention to that than I used to. Sure, there are some posts that I think are amazing that still never receive any comments, but I don't pay much attention to it. The comments are nice, but they don't drive the blog.

All that being said I have a responsibility to respond to comments and I need to come clean about this. Lately I have been a bit lax about it. I read every comment that comes in and I try to respond in a timely fashion, but sometimes I fall short.

That is not to say that I do not respond, but sometimes it might take me a couple of days to get to it. My apologies.

Also, the rules of the blog dictate that I let you know that sometimes I have nothing more to say or add and as a result I not respond to a comment.

Anyhoo, that is all I have to say about this for now. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT post!! I can relate!! I just started a blog, and wonder about the apparent "randomness" of comments myself. Sometimes I think people are afraid to be the first one to comment (I never have that problem) and other times I assume the worst--that my post is not "worthy". It's a mystery to me!!

Leora said...

I really don't blog for the comments And why not? Isn't nice to hear something from someone?

I remember your post on orphans. I think I went back to an orphaned 2005 post and put in a comment. You get lots of comments. Spread out over your many posts, over course (some are more commentable than others).

Commenting on your blog is fun.

Jack Steiner said...

Susan,

Welcome to the blogosphere. It is a wild and woolly place, but a lot of fun.

Leora,

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate receiving them and I'd much rather get them than not.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...