Moronic Ramblings about the Hurricane

In an earlier post I wrote about my displeasure with the attempt by people to politicize the tragedy caused by Hurricane Katrina. I must be a glutton for punishment because I spent more time blogsurfing and came across so many examples of it.

It is not limited to one side or another. I read blogs that are clearly liberal or clearly conservative and shook my head. I read idiotic ramblings about this being a racial event and stupid remarks about how the looting was because liberals had chased away the Ten Commandments and G-d from the schools.

I read moronic statements where people said that because so many people died the president must be impeached. And on a number of the blogs I posted similar comments to what I have written here and was warmly welcomed by all parties.

According to some I am:

A G-dless asshole.
A Stupid, fucking republican slimeball
A motherfucker
Dummy

There were a number of other colorful terms regarding my beliefs, lineage and education. It was almost funny to read the responses, if it wasn't so sad.

I'll continue to harp on those who want to engage in blame.

  • Now is not the time for fingerpointing. There will be plenty of time to evaluate and assess the situation, but not now. Now is the time to come together and help people.
I want to point out one other thing that some people seem to be missing. There are people who are irate that Dubya has not set foot in New Orleans yet. There is a very good reason for him not to be there.

The POTUS has an enormous security detail. If he was to visit one of these locations it would require pulling resources away from the primary duty of engaging in search and rescue and care of the victims. During a time when resources are so limited it is not smart to shrink them further by having the president view the area.

All I know is that this bickering just makes me shake my head. Not impressive, not entertaining and not very useful.

6 comments:

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Agreed. We clearly need to become active as a nation and come together and help people. Let it start with the Bush administration and those Federal and State agencies, who have a responsibility to the citizens of this country. Private donations are indeed wonderful, but let us not forget, that we the people of the United States of America have in fact been affected by this tragedy.

Reb Yudel said...

For those of us who can't do anymore than offer money, now is precisely the time to begin fingerpointing.

Because you can be sure that when fingerpointing begins, the president will attempt to stonewall, to only testify with his handler, to raise the terror alert level, to declare a war, to nominate a supreme court justice, to do any one of his little political tricks to change the subject.

He has avoided answering questions about 9/11. He has avoided answering questions about why we are in Iraq. He will continue to avoid answering questions because that is what he does.

It's time for the Accountability Era to begin.

And it's time to ask yourself: Has there been any five year period in this country's history with such disastrous consequences?

Jack Steiner said...

What do you think life was like during the depression. What do you think it was like right after Pearl Harbor and during WWII.

Or how about during the Civil War.

I'd argue that all things considered we are still living in a better, nicer time than those I mentioned.

Anonymous said...

While arguably George W Bush's approach to public infrastructure financing might be lacking, (an assupmtion based on the little I have read) I agree that holding off on the finger pointing would save more political energy for the job at hand, recovery.

As for getting Georgie to New Orleans, well I think he should weigh the value of the trip politically and go.

Even if financially it is not a good idea, at the voting booth it would be valuable. (mercenary but true)

Irina Tsukerman said...

Has anyone noticed the irrational element clearly visible in the mutual finger-pointing?

That irrational element is the attempt to blame human beings for a *natural disaster*. While global warming may or may not *contribute* to climate change, in the long run, natural disasters are natural disaster. I really think it's kind of sick that people from all sides are trying to use the weather in order to jab at their opponents. How low can you sink???

Sure, one may argue that financial decision of various government levels may not have been the wisest but to say that people *caused* the hurricane is just ridiculous. And anyway, instead of playing the blame game, I would like to see both Republican and Democrat pundits, politicians, and regular citizens discussing what practical lessons are to be learned about handling such situations for the future.

Jack Steiner said...

Anonymous,

Agreed.

Irina,

We can only hope that we learn from this.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...