Why Abortion Should Be a Federal Mandate

I have read/listened to a number of arguments about why people think that Roe V. Wade should be overturned and on the whole I have been unimpressed with the arguments that they have put forth.

These cyberspace "Larry H. Parkers" (remember those horrible commercials) have tried to present themselves as having very well thought out arguments that are nuanced and slick, but really have just been sick.

One of the more colorful arguments said that if men were more careful where and when they stick it abortion would be unnecessary. Another threatened us all with the wrath of G-d. Cute stuff, but none of that works for me.

Here is my very simple argument about why I think that it should receive federal attention and not be a case of state's rights.

If it goes that direction it is quite likely that there will be states that ban it. And that could negatively impact the ability of the poor to get an abortion. Now some of the diehards who want to see it abolished would be thrilled with that, but I think that this is a real problem that should be addressed.

Funding should not prevent access to those who require it.

Just to be clear I am not an advocate of using abortion as birth control and I am very concerned about late term abortions.

During my single days there were two separate occasions in which I was involved in a scare and was prepared to take those involved for an abortion.

At this point of my life it is not an option that I want to exercise because I am prepared to take care of the child that will develop.

But it doesn't mean that I want to outlaw or ban it either.

There is much more to be said and done in a smarter way, but I don't have the time for that right now.

10 comments:

cruisin-mom said...

Jack, I'm impressed by your candidness about this hot issue, especially considering (if I have read correctly) you are a very religious Jew. I really didn't think those beliefs coincided with being religious. I'm surprised but glad to hear your views.

Jack Steiner said...

Randi,

I don't know that I would refer to myself as a religious Jew. I am not really in a place that you can categorize easily, it is part of the journey.

Judaism is not anti-abortion provided that the situation meets a few requirements.

cruisin-mom said...

Jack,
I'm Jewish, too, only very reformed...but I really thought that the orthodox religious view was anti-abortion. Interesting to hear the different opinions. Thanks for your response.
Randi

Jack Steiner said...

Here is a short essay about it. There is more detailed information that is available, if you are interested.

http://www.aish.com/societyWork/sciencenature/Abortion_in_Jewish_Law.asp

DK said...

I would give away free seasons of Oprah in DVD forms as well as Free Happy Meals at KFC with every abortion.

Lyss said...

Brenda is totally right about giving the younger generation the proper sex ed. If we had that then perhaps abortion would not be as neccesary as it is for some people. I also agree that it should not be used as birth control.
Teens will have sex. Its been like that for a long time, doubt it will change. We should do all in our power to make sure that they are safe.

Bkbuds said...

We should replace junk food and soda vending machines in high schools with ones that dispense condoms, spermicide and other non-prescription forms of birth control.

Just an idea.

Jack Steiner said...

David,

You may be on to something.

Brenda,

I agree, education is critical.

Lyss,

Absolutely.

Inland Empress,

Every time I see your name I hear those Guitar Center ads. ;) Those vending machines are a smart idea.

Unknown said...

My husband works with teen fathers. He is NOT allowed, due to current funding restrictions courtesy of the federal gov'ment, to tell them about birth control period. It must be abstinence all the way. Even though the toothpaste is out of the tube. I think it's positively neanderthal really. And naturally these kids have second and even third babies while IN THE PROGRAM. Pretending teen sex doesn't happen doesn't make it stop.

I agree with you Jack. Abortion is not something I would choose now in my life. But you can bet your bippee if I had become pregnant at 16 given my family and my situation, my butt would have been in Hagerstown MD pronto. Without a doubt!

michelle said...

As a mother of a teenage daughter I believe in abstinence...and as a woman who had an abortion in my late teens, which at the time was the right thing to do, I would never do it again because it caused me much pain and emotional scarring, still believe in a woman's right to choose as it is her body and nobody else's.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...