Trouble With TIVO- The Day Before The Superbowl

Last night the house was in a minor frenzy, TIVO had stopped working. Dyring the day, we hadn't watched any television at all, but the evening had arrived and we wanted to unwind a little with a movie.

We had TIVOed "The Cooler," "50 First Dates," and "Bend it like Beckham" not to mention that I had just picked up a copy of "Ray." The intent was not to to watch all of them, but to at least be able to see one.

I flipped on the tube and was greeted with a message "we are powering up." That never happens and I wondered if we had experienced a power surge or outage during the day. So I watched and waited and there were no changes.

I tried to reset the receiver and nothing happened. So grumbling to myself I called Tech Support. I was irritated, the unit is only 18 months old, there is no reason for this. I waited on hold for 11 minutes before they cut me off. I called back again and was placed on hold for another eight minutes before the infernal system cut me off again.

I told the children to cover their ears and expressed my sentiments in more colorful terms. When I finished my wife and in-laws looked like characters from a cartoon. There were streaks of black across their faces and their hair was standing on end.

Having regained my composure I tried again, this time was succcessful. I reached tech support and learned that my hard drive was fried. I expressed my displeasure and reminded Tech Lady that the Superbowl was the next day and we expected company.

They apologized profusely and offered to replace the machine at a reduced rate of $49.95 and said that it would be shipped out in one to three business days, but that I would be credited for the time I did not have service.

We went back and forth with the reasons why it was unacceptable and the reasons why they couldn't do anything about it. Finally we settled on sending the replacement unit out.

This morning I attacked the ads in the newspaper to see if there were any offers on new DVRs. I found one at Circuit City that promoted a better model than I had. It was $50 more, but it comes with a $50 rebate. When the store opens in an hour I plan on driving over and picking it up.

And they say that Tom Brady is good under pressure. Hah!

3 comments:

angela marie said...

I WANT TIVO. Like I need another excuse to watch TV, but I still want it.

Unless the Packers are playing, I couldn't care less about football (especially since I lost every quarter in the work football pool), but did you watch '50 First Dates' yet? That is so good!

Jack Steiner said...

Nope, ended up falling alseep within the first 15 minutes of the flick and when the old TIVO died all the shows we had taped disappeared.

PsychoToddler said...

TIVO is EVIL. I've been planning to write a post about it for a while, but I've been too busy trying to watch all the Battlestar Galactica reruns before they get erased.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...